Venison Pepper Steaks
- 6 1/4 inch thick slices of venison loin (backstrap) or more,
depending upon the appetite of those you are serving
- Several cloves of garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons of whole black pepper corns, coarsely crushed
- 3 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Score the steaks all over with a sharp knife. Rub each steak, on both
sides, with a cut garlic clove. Press the cracked black peppercorns into
one side of each steak.
- In a large cast iron skillet (use 2 to get the cooking done more
quickly), melt the butter and olive oil. You may not need to use all the
butter and oil mix in each skillet. Use your judgment.
- When the mix of oil and butter is hot, add the steaks. Fry them on
each side, about 3 minutes in all.
Serve them with the cooking butter, which should not have burned, by
pouring the butter over the steaks.