Savory Kugel (Noodle Pudding)
I hadn't made a kugel in ages. I used to make a sweet noodle kugel,
getting extra lightness by separating the eggs and adding the beaten egg
whites in at the last minute. Hmmm, I guess I should post that recipe,
too. At any rate, the other night Andreas asked for noodles with cottage
cheese and parmesan. So, I went one better. Oink!
- 8 ounces conchiglione (little ears pasta. I
happened to have half a bag of these; you may use egg noodles)
- 1/3 of
a 15 ounce container of ricotta cheese (I use regular ricotta cheese)
- 1 small package of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup
small curd cottage cheese
- 5 T sweet butter
- 2 T grated parmesan
- 1/4 a small onion, finely minced
- 2 t finely chopped red
- 1 t powdered dried limes (omani powder)
- 1 t kosher
- 8" x 8" baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- While the noodles are boiling, mix the ingredients together except for
the egg and paprika. Mash the cream cheese and butter into a cream.
- When noodles are done, drain thoroughly and add to the ricotta mix.
Coat the noodles well. Stir in the egg.
- Pour into a baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 degrees
for about 30 minutes or until the top of the kugel is golden brown.
- Makes about 6 servings or 4 large servings. I served this with the
cauliflower salad and pickled green tomatoes. It would be a nice side
dish as well, which would make at least six servings.
Warning! This stuff is so incredibly delicious.
Return to the List of Recipes