Resume: Digital Marketing
- Senior position to build and manage digital content marketing, influencer marketing, website content marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), paid placement (a.k.a. paid search, PPC, Google Adwords), analytics, social media, and mobile
I've co-founded and directed several digital agencies. I have hands-on experience in digital marketing for mid-size and large corporate clients.
I've built digital marketing strategy, incl. branding, logo, target audience segmentation, media plans, marketing plans, budgeting, websites, content marketing SEO, PPC, social media, mobile, and multichannel marketing.
- HTML and Web: I wrote one of the first books on HTML in 1996. I have hand-coded HTML for more than 500 business websites and landing pages.
- SEO: Wrote one of the first books on SEO. SEO strategy and tactics, incl. meta-tags, HTML format, site maps, keywords, link building, and analytics to ensure findability in search engines, social sites, and mobile devices.
- Paid Search: Using Google Adwords since 2002. I was on the Google Adwords Advisory Panel. I've managed dozens of PPC campaigns for Fortune 500 clients. Since 2005, I've managed a $1,000,000 Google Foundation Grant for MIT where I use 12 languages (all the European languages, incl. Chinese, Russian, and Arabic), 4,500 keywords in multiple languages, and 1,400 ads. I currently manage $45,000 in monthly budgets. I've built campaigns for both text and banner ads in Bing, Facebook, and other sites. Use A/B split testing and multivariate to test and find the best ads based on performance. I manage campaigns by CPL (Cost-per-Lead) and CPA (Cost-per-Action) to be profitable.
- Social Media Marketing: Build and promote pages for social media marketing, incl. Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Google+, and LinkedIn. Identify target audiences, hire, train, and supervise community managers. Tie SEO, PPC, and social media together in multichannel campaigns. Focus on KPIs and results.
- Content Marketing: Develop appropriate content, identify target audiences (geodemographics, psychographics, technographics), create, and distribute digital content to build brand, audience, and engagement. Developed content marketing strategies for a number of clients. Strategy includes consistent brand presentation (logo, colors, fonts, voice, etc.), target audiences, engagement, and strategy to counter the competitions' efforts. Content marketing was supported by SEO, PPC, and Social to ensure maximum exposure. Built cross-channel multichannel tracking with analytics to show results.
- Influencer Marketing: Identify the top influentials and develop engagement for reputation management to grow audience and traffic. Use Klout, eCairn, Position2 Sentiment Monitor, and other tools. I did this for several Fortune 500 companies.
- Testing: I use Multivariate Testing (MVT) and A/B Split Testing to create variations of text ads, banner ads, the home page, web pages, and landing pages to test and identify the version with the highest conversion rate or best revenues. I also use funnel analysis to identify conversion paths to improve conversions and revenues.
- Analytics: I've used all four major web analytics tools with clients: Omniture, Coremetrics, Webtrends, and Google Analytics. For two years, I was the analytics strategist for Stanford's School of Business. I created and led training courses on web analytics.
- Banner Ads: I've launched and managed campaigns with several hundred banner ads simultaneously. Use A/B split testing and multivariate to test and find the best ads based on performance.
- Radio and TV Ads: I've created ads for radio and TV. Managed the video team, wrote scripts, found voice talent (the voice actors), and music directors (the background music).
- Top-line Business Strategy: Strategies and tactics support top-line business goals. Use KPIs (Key Performance Indicators), incl. AOV (Average Order Value), LTV (Lifetime Value), CPA (Cost-per-Action), and CPL (Cost-per-Lead). I teach teams how to calculate these and use them to manage projects.
- Upper Management: I work with upper management to align the web advertising strategy with the company's overall business strategy. Created costs and profit projections and analysis for CFOs, CMOs, and upper management. I'm on the Advisory Board for several Silicon Valley startups, where I meet with angels, VCs, the board, and the management team to advise them on marketing strategy.
- Build and Manage Teams: Built, trained, and managed teams to handle projects and clients. Created process overview, checklists, and report templates for the teams. Wrote sales material, Powerpoints, and talking points for sales teams. I've done this at three agencies.
- Published Author: I've written six books on digital marketing. Wrote Search Engine Marketing (McGraw-Hill 2009), a book on how to use analytics to manage SEO and PPC. For more books, see andreas.com/books.html
- Agency Certification: At Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft, and Facebook.
- Speaker and Thought Leader: I've spoken at conferences and events in the US, Europe, and China. For a list of conferences, see andreas.com/events.html
- Business Experience: Co-founded two search marketing agencies. One was successfully acquired in Feb. 2012.
- Languages and Country Skills: Fluent in English, German, Danish, and Spanish. Currently learning Chinese. I've worked on projects in China, Germany, Brazil, Denmark, Mexico, and Colombia.
- The CMO Council: Palo Alto. 2012-Current. Digital Marketing Practice Leader. Develop strategy and content for CMOs. The CMO Council is the industry association for CMOs worldwide. Members include 6,000 executives and over 24,000 industry professionals in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.
- Advisory Boards to Silicon Valley Startups: Palo Alto. 2005-Current. Includes ClassJunky.com, SiliconShanghai.com, Entifi.com, and others. Advise startups and investors on digital marketing strategy, branding, and tactics.
- Acxiom. Foster City, CA. March 2010-Current. Director of Search Strategy. Lead the digital agency at Acxiom. Develop sales, strategy, and tactics for SEO, PPC, and Social Media. Acxiom is a $1.4b company with 6,500 staff worldwide and over 8,000 clients. Acxiom's client list includes 80% of the Fortune 500.
- The CCG Group, Inc.. Palo Alto. December 2007-March 2010. Cofounder and Director of Online Marketing. Developed the company's analytics, SEO, and PPC strategies. Clients include MIT, Stanford, Aveda, Cisco, Coremetrics, OneMBA, Covad. At CCG, we handled 212 clients in every industry: hotel, travel, cosmetics, business schools, consumer products, lawyers, automotive, online games, real estate, restaurants, and many more. The-CCG-Group.com
- Position2, Inc.. Santa Clara. January 2006-November 2007. Director of Search Marketing. Co-founder of a Silicon Valley venture-funded startup. As the company's subject matter expert (SME), I created and directed the company's SEO, PPC, and analytics strategies. I trained a 65-person team in Bangalore, India.
- Creative Consultants Group, LLC.. Palo Alto. July 2002-December 2005. Director of Digital Marketing. SEO, PPC, and analytics for clients.
- Invio Software. Palo Alto. September 2001-November 2002. Webmaster. Invio was a SAN (storage area network) company. I built the company's website using XML with Epic XML editor. Used SEO to promote the site.
- Dialpad.com. Santa Clara. March 2000-August 2001. Webmaster. I managed the web site as it grew to ten million users. I optimized it for search engines.
- 1994 to 2000: During the dotcom boom, I worked in engineering teams at a number of Silicon Valley companies, incl. Sun Microsystems, Brio Technology, Oracle, Silicon Graphics (SGI), Nippon Telephone and Telegraph (NTT), and others.
- I've spoken at many conferences and events, including AdTech Shanghai, eMetrics, BAM Conference. I've been the keynote speaker or lead speaker at conferences in Chicago, San Francisco, San Jose, Denmark, and Stanford.
- See a list of conferences and events
Search Engine Marketing by Andreas Ramos and Stephanie Cota. How to use analytics to manage multichannel marketing (SEO, PPC, social networks, email, radio, TV, mobile, and other channels). McGraw-Hill, 2009. 267 pg. At Amazon, Borders, Barnes & Noble, and other bookstores. The China edition was published by Tsing Hua University Press, Beijing.
(McGraw-Hill, 2009. 267 pg. ISBN 978-0-07-159733-3. Illustrations, tables, index). Available at Amazon, Borders, Barnes & Noble, and other bookstores in North America, Europe, and Asia. See andreas.com
Search Marketing Professional 3-day course with certification by the Silicon Valley American Marketing Association (SV-AMA). Course fee = $2,100. I wrote the 400-page courseware and Powerpoint slides. Course covers business strategy, demand generation, digital marketing, e-commerce, email marketing, interactive marketing, internet marketing, online advertising and marketing, search marketing, search engine optimization, social media, web analytics, and web marketing. See andreas.com
Insider SEO & PPC, by Andreas Ramos and Stephanie Cota. How to use search engines to get qualified leads, prospects, and customers by building and managing SEO and PPC campaigns. Interviews with Google, Microsoft, Clicktracks Web Analytics, and others. 26 case studies. 47 tips & tricks.
(Second edition. Jain Publishing, 2006. 256 pg., 35 illustrations, tables, index. ISBN 2006 978-0875730882). Available at Amazon, Borders, Barnes & Noble, and so on.
Insider's Guide to SEO, by Andreas Ramos and Stephanie Cota. This was the first version. After a year, we updated it as a second edition (see the book above).
(Jain Publishing, 2004. 114 p., illustrated, with index and tables. ISBN 978-0875730516)
Hands-On Web Design, by Andreas Ramos. This came out in February 1996 and was one of the first books about HTML and web development. By 1998, there were hundreds of books on HTML, but I was one of the first. The book sold very well.
(Jain Publishing. 1996. 160 pages and 83 illustrations. ISBN 978-0875730769)
For a complete list, see books by Andreas
Education, Memberships, and Credentials
- Agency Certification status with Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft
- On the advisory board to two Silicon Valley startups
- MA, University of Heidelberg, Germany
- BA with Honors, University of Tennessee
- I won the State Science Fair in high school.
Pro Bono Work
- Since 2005, I've managed the Google Foundation Grant for MIT's Opencourseware Project. This produced 430 million impressions and 10.2 million clicks with $1 million of Google's money. MIT estimates 4.1 million people worldwide have downloaded courses.
- For more, see andreas.com/mit-opencourseware
- My website is at andreas.com. It has been up since 1995 and gets 40,000 unique visitors every month. My monthly newsletter has 5,000 subscribers.
Your Next Step: Contact Me